As much as I love traveling and exploring, it’s always good to come home.
Although this is true, leaving the life you are comfortable with from time to time is essential to a healthy life and gives perspective (else you get stuck in your little bubble and forget that there is a world out there.)
Here’s some of what I’m happy to come home to:
Exercise and healthy eating. My Spanish holiday diet of oily tapas, pastries for breakfast and tinto de verano/clara (half beer, half lemon sparkling water) all day has taken its’ toll
- This face
- South African men. Except the skinny jeans, full beard and strange half-shaved heads ones in Cape Town – what exactly is that about?
- My mountains and my sea
- Grabbing my bicycle and riding out somewhere beautiful, just on my doorstep
- Mild temperature
- Rain and moisture in the air (the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain. I clearly wasn’t on the plain.)
- A decent schedule that involves getting up before 9am and going to sleep before 2am. Dinner before 10pm will also be nice.
- I also miss my work, my clients, my colleagues (yay!)
- Understanding the language of the city I live in! If you travel to Spain, you’ve got to learn some of the language else you don’t fully take in the culture
- I miss the tiny little beaches of the Cape southern peninsula – the sea that takes your breath away when you get in and tingles your skin when you get out.
- I miss hipster restaurants where chairs don’t match and the menu oddly always has some beetroot.
- Vegetarian food that doesn’t have canned tuna in it
- South African cheese and wine
- My home, my stuff, my bathroom, my wild lavender, fynbos, my takkies and my beauty therapist (she’s got a big job ahead of her after this trip!). Am sick of airports, planes, trains, busses, someone else’s house, my suitcase.
- Overpriced, completely incorrectly made coffee. I’m lying about this one, I miss proper European coffee already (around €1,10 for the best coffee, made correctly and enjoyed on a street sidewalk cafe under the trees, chatting away). Truth coffee can kiss my ass.
I’m home baby, and it feels GOOD! I heart South Africa and I especially heart Cape Town. Muchos gratitude.